From all the injuries during an accident ROAD RASH is the most common. Road rash means the burning of skin due to scraping with any hard and harsh surface.
This term of injury is named Road Rash as most of these injuries occur outdoors like slip out of stairs, bike accidents, motorcycle accidents, skateboard fail, etc.
This type of friction burning is caused by immediate fall and when the skin comes to hard contact with the unpolished surface. Because of this hard contact, the upper layer of the skin just opens up and shows the raw layer.
This kind of rash can cause serious pain. Bleeding is not so much in such condition but the swelling is very common as our body directly starts to recover any injury immediately after it happens.
The quick-release of platelets starts on such injuries so the open injuries look watery. In a small portion, this injury these injuries commonly heal in three or four days or in a week but if the rash is in a bigger position it takes time like 2/3 weeks or sometimes a month.
On medical diaries, these kinds of injuries are not measured as fatal but it can be if it gets infected and not only fatal but such injuries can lead up to death.
Here in this article, we are going to discuss mostly how to treat a road rash along with the preventions, and causes.
So, let’s get deeper and get rid of burning road rashes.
Why and how it happens?
Thousands of reasons can be listed as the causes of road crashes. The most known and common reasons for Road rashes are dirt on roads, wet stairs, rainy weather, mountain tracks, etc.
Mostly the bikers, skaters, and others involved with outdoor sports face this kind of injuries and that is so common in the outdoor culture.
During rainy days the roads and stairs get slippery and sometimes the vehicles lose their control on the vehicles and the loss of control over the vehicle can cause road rashes.
Mountain bikers and cross bikers are very much familiar with this kind of injury as they have to go through hard trails.
Improper maintenance of vehicles such as dirty chains, loosen nuts, faulty brakes, etc. can also be responsible for fatal road crashes.
How a Road Rash is?
There are some symptoms as every injury to confirm a Road Rash. Although this injury is very common in type but knowing the perfect information is always better.
The influenced region of skin will seem red, crude, and aroused. Draining is likewise normal. Agony and swelling are quickly felt and may keep going for a few days.
It’s normal to feel no agony at the most profound piece of the harmed territory. Nonetheless, the skin around the edges of the rash can be incredibly agonizing.
Likewise, with any damage that breaks the obstruction of the skin, the street rash can prompt disease. Indications of an injury disease include:
- Expanded torment after the main day
- Swelling and expanded redness
- Warmth Discharge or liquid depleting
- Putrid seepage
- Influenza-like indications, for example, fever, chills, and body hurts
In uncommon cases, a street rash may cause blood harming, extreme contamination that spreads through the circulatory system. Septic stun, a conceivably perilous condition that causes hazardously low pulse and organ disappointment, requires prompt therapeutic regard for anticipating confusions including demise.
Immediate actions to take when injured
Road rashes are always the most annoying kind of injuries. They don’t bleed much but they burn more than fire burnings. Also, as they are on the skin, they need to be handled more sensitively.
Primary level treatments are necessary but if the wound is bigger it needs further treatment. Below here we will be discussing the immediate steps to take if facing a road rash:
Yes! What could be the better option than that when in a hazardous situation? The emergency contact 911 is always on duty to help. Wherever the place of accident is, to call 911 should be our first task. Never forget that the 911 service is able to reach anytime anywhere when one needs help actually.
In every accident scene, we should take those actions. These primary actions are very helpful for later treatments. Until the 911 service reaches the primary actions should be taken are:
- Give the victim water to drink as much as possible.
- Clean the wound with clean water.
- Wrap it up with a clean cloth as dirt can’t come in contact with it.
These are only some primary steps to follow until the help reaches.
Homely treatment of road rash
If the wound is not bigger than your palm those can be treated at home. There should be some conditions when to apply this treatment method. If these conditions are present you must see a doctor. The conditions are:
- The wound shouldn’t be bigger than three times of your palm.
- No excess bleeding should occur.
- Visibility of muscle and bone can’t be treated at home.
- The wounded areas shouldn’t be case sensitive like genitals, face, belly, thighs, feet.
- The injury shouldn’t cause by foreign objects like small rocks or glass.
So, the treatment method which I’ll be discussing below must have to be free of the conditions given otherwise the injury can prove itself fatal. 2nd-degree road rash treatments can’t be treated at home. The treatment procedure is:
- Clean hands: In the event that you are thinking about your very own injury or someone else’s injury, you ought to consistently wash your hands first. You may have microscopic organisms or different substances on your hand that could cause contamination.
- Wash the damage: You should then wash the scraped area. Try not to scour the damage with a ton of weight, as this could bring about additional harm and die.
- Expel flotsam and jetsam: You ought to deliberately evacuate the flotsam and jetsam in the event that you see noticeable bits of grass, shake, or earth. Use tweezers if fundamental.
- Apply anti-toxin salve: When the damage is spotless, you ought to apply an anti-microbial treatment, for example, Bacitracin or Neosporin. This will help murder any terrible microscopic organisms that may have interacted with your injury. Apply the balm cautiously to not cause additionally dying.
- Spread the street rash: Covering the damage will enable the damage to mend and keep microscopic organisms from coming into contact with the open injury. In the event that you keep the zone sodden, it will enable your skin to mend. You can utilize dressing or other lightweight medicinal covering.
- Keep the swathe new: Attempt to change your covering more than once per day. On the off chance that you inadvertently get your wrap wet or surprisingly filthy, you should transform it all the more every now and again. In the event that the wrap feels stuck or harms when you go to expel it, saturate the swathe. You can do this with water or salt water. This ought to enable your scab to mollify to enable the wrap to be expelled.
- Check for disease: Watch out for disease as the damage recuperates. On the off chance that you are encountering expanded agony, discharge, redness, or waste make certain to utilize anti-microbial balm. In the event that the damage keeps on exacerbating, you should visit a specialist.
That’s how you can treat Roade Rashes at home and get rid of annoying pains and road rash itching. After crossing these road rash healing stages can be fully cured.
Natural Treatment for road rashes
Earlier the homely treatment process of road rash is discussed but there is a better option of treating road rash is available.
Road Rashes are not the kind of injury that shown up the day before yesterday. It’s one of the injuries with which we human beings are known since when we exist.
During times, in different regions of the world, people applied different techniques to treat skin abrasions in different ways. Here some of the effective natural remedies are discussed. They are:
The idea of using honey for treating this kind of rashes is the oldest method. The use of honey for healing purposes is popular since 2000BC among the people of every side of the world.
In different religious books, the reference of honey is given as healers mostly in Bible, Al-Quran, And Torah directly gives reference to honey.
According to scientists, Vitamins, Amino acids, minerals, and Anti-oxidants are very much effective to kill the bacteria and fungi in the wounds.
Honey doesn’t just heal the wound but softens the scar also. To be added, nowadays you can find different jarred and marketed honey in the market which wouldn’t be that much ideal for wounds.
So, it is better to use medicated honey as they are sterilized and good for healing. The steps to apply honey are:
- Wash the wound with clean water.
- Rub the honey over the wound and put a bandage on.
- Allow it to sit for an hour.
- Now remove the bandage and clean the wound with clean water.
- Repeat the process two or three times a day for a few days.
This process can very much help you heal your wound. If that doesn’t, go and see the doctor.
To heal wounds the use of turmeric powder is very popular in the Asian region. Turmeric is also known as a natural antiseptic. The use of turmeric to heal the wound can be very much effective. The steps to apply turmeric are:
- Wash the wound with clean water.
- Make a paste of ¼ teaspoon of turmeric.
- Apply the paste directly on the affected area.
- Allow the paste to dry.
- Do not put any bandage over it.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times a day to get the required result.
Drinking turmeric powder mixed with milk can be very helpful for road rash pain relief.
Peppermint oil and Cinnamon
Peppermint oil and Cinnamon mixture create a great antiseptic. As per American chemical society scientists, this combination creates a great anti-bacterial ointment.
It can directly kill the bacteria of the wound. This mixture is also very much helpful for healing the wounds longer than a month. The steps to use it are:
- Clean the wound.
- Make the mixture.
- Wash your hands cleanly or wear medicated gloves.
- Apply the mixture on the wound.
- Repeat the process for a few days.
This remedy can be very much helpful for the healing of your wound. That’s how to treat infected road rash.
These remedies discussed here are purely natural remedies. These have no side effects and can be applied to anyone of any age. Many more natural remedies are there that can function a good healer of wounds you can find. Tea-tree oil, lavender oil, chamomile, etc. work very good as natural healers. Vaseline on road rash can also do some help.
How to prevent Road Rash?
Road rash isn’t a disease. It is a kind of injury that is caused by the victim himself. When a vehicle especially bikes, scooters, skateboards, rollerblades are on a ride they will meet accidents and that is a normal issue.
Accidents are normal issues and they can happen, but the loses caused by an accident can be reduced. There are some ways by following which one can easily prevent road rashes. The ways are:
Using safety gears
The safety gear for the riders is just made to keep the rider safe from the wound. Especially helmets, knee guards, arm guards are very much effective to save the rider from severe road rash.
Avoid riding during the rain
On rainy days the roads and tracks get slippery and riding on those tracks can be very dangerous and can result in serious road rash. So, it’s better to avoid riding during rainy days.
First, learn than ride
Without learning the perfect way of riding, to ride on the road is always dangerous. So, be on-road after learning the proper riding technique can help you prevent extreme road rashes.
To be careful by himself is the only way to prevent road rashes. After taking the safety measures if it happens then one must go for treatment.
Our article is led by the title how to treat road rash and here we tried to suggest emergency treatment for road rashes along with some homely natural remedies to help out our readers.
These remedies and measures discussed here are just for the primary cases. If the cases are severe as discussed in this article. The wisest decision would be to see the doctor.
Severe cases of road rash if you try to treat at home can cause infections which can lead even to death.
Our goal was just to help you out with some relevant pieces of information. If you find it helpful let us know in the comment section below, if not, don’t hesitate to know us, we will try to improve.
Thanks for your precious time.
Taylor is an outdoors & sports equipment specialist, sports author, bike traveler, bicycling and skating expert, and smoke-free ride activist. He is also a regular reviewer of outdoor sports gadgets and accessories. About safety gear and biking facts he analyzes and gives his feedback to outdoorxsports. Writes and tests to help him, you, and us.